The written instructions for sourdough can seem overwhelming so we’ve provided a full step by step video, sharing the entire process. Written + printable instructions are also provided below too.
To create starter for your sourdough, King Arthur has a great fresh option. They ship 1oz of live starter to you that is ready to use within 24 hours!
To store your starter, Shiloh recommends a 2qt glass batter bowl with an air tight lid. HERE’s a great option.
TIP: Every few weeks move your starter to a clean bowl, run your storage bowl through the dishwasher and then place the starter back in the cleaned bowl.
All of these items can be purchased directly from Amazon.
- La Cloche Bread Baker
- Dutch Whisk
- Food Scale
- Bread Proofing Basket
- Shower Caps (or cling wrap)
- Scoring Knife
- 1 cup
"fed" sourdough starter
- 1.5 cup
distilled, spring or filtered water
- 2 tsp
- 8 oz
King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 12 oz
King Arthur Bread Flour
- In a large glass bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- With a Dutch whisk, combine until the dough roughly comes together. It will look dry and under mixed - no NOT knead at this point. Cover with plastic wrap (or a shower cap - see video) and allow the dough to sit in the bowl for 30 minutes. This is the autolyse state.
- Don’t forget to feed your starter: 1 cup all purpose flour + 1/2 to 3/4 cup water. *NOTE use less water for a more sour sourdough.
- Knead dough inside the bowl for 30 seconds. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to sit in bowl for another 30 minutes.
- Fold dough on itself 4-6 turns then place it back in bowl seam side up. Cover with plastic wrap (or shower cap) and allow the dough to sit in bowl for 30 minutes again.
- Repeat the step above 4 more times. On the last turn allow the bread to rest for 60 minutes covered on the counter.
- After 60 minutes, shape the dough one final time into a ball and move the dough to a well floured proofing bowl. Cover and let proof in the refrigerator over night.
- DAY TWO: Place a Cloche or Dutch oven on the bottom shelf of a cold oven and preheat the oven to 475°F with the Cloche inside.
- When the oven is at temp, remove the Cloche and using 1 tbsp of EVOO, oil the bottom of the Cloche using a paper towel.
- Place the bread in pot, seam side down and score the top of the dough with a sharp kitchen knife (or razor) so steam can escape while baking.
- Bake the bread for 20 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack.
- Enjoy immediately or allow to cool completely for several hours before covering and storing.
Be sure to tag me & Shiloh on Instagram @jaclynjameshome + @wedrinkbubbles if you bake bread using this tutorial.